L1 Visa in Ghana

L1 Visa In Ghana

What is an L1 visa?

L1 Visa, also known as Intracompany transferee is a first preference immigrant visa status under the employment-based visa category. It facilitates the temporary transfer of foreign workers already employed in a managerial, executive or specialized knowledge category to continue their employment in the United States with an office of the same employer, its parent, branch, subsidiary or an affiliate.

To be eligible, the employee must be the beneficiary of an approved petition by a qualifying entity. The “qualifying entity” is defined as the parent, branch office, subsidiary, or affiliate of the foreign business entity. A “qualifying entity” may include corporations, nonprofits, and religious and charitable organisations.

L1 Visa Status also provides opportunity for small companies and start-ups to transfer their employees to the United States to expand their business and services by opening up new offices. Under this route, the foreign company need not have an affiliate, branch, or subsidiary in the United States. It is sufficient for the applicant to show that the foreign company has secured leased premises in the United States in addition to showing that they satisfy the other general requirements for L1 Visa status.

How can I qualify for L1 status?

To be eligible for L1 status, you must have during the three year period preceding the time of your application for the visa and admission into the United States show the following:

  • That you have been employed for at least one year by a firm or corporation or other legal entity or an affiliate or subsidiary of the petitioning company; and
  • You seek to enter the United States in order to continue to render services to the same employer or to a subsidiary or affiliate thereof in a capacity that is managerial or executive.

Do I need to show labor certification or a job offer?

You do not need to show evidence of labor certification for L1 Visa Status. However, the prospective U.S. employer must furnish a job offer in the form of a statement which indicates that you will be employed in the United States in a managerial or executive capacity. The letter must clearly describe the duties to be performed.

Can my spouse and children join me in the United States?

Yes. Provided the relationship existed at the time of your admission into the United States, your spouse or child will be entitled to derivative status and may accompany or follow to join you as L2 status holders for the duration of your stay. In addition, they may apply for work authorisation from USCIS which will entitle them to work without restrictions.

However, if you acquired your spouse or child subsequent to your admission, they will not be entitled to derivative status and can therefore not accompany or follow to join you.

U.S. employment and work visa services In Ghana

Do You Need Help?

Our legal experts are ready to provide answers and solutions to your questions about immigration, visa related issues, family and matrimonial issues, and Ghana residence issues.

Complete the form below to request a text back from our legal experts.

Scroll to Top